Ernest "Bub" Anthony Hermens
ERNEST ANTHONY 'BUB' HERMENS was born October 24, 1910 in Verboort, Oregon, the son of the late Antone and Anna Marie (Joosten) Hermens. He was raised and received his education in the Verboort community. He was united in marriage to Ida M. Smith on August 23, 1933 in Verboort. They celebrated their 62nd Wedding Anniversary this past August. Following their marriage they made their home in Verboort until 1962 when they moved to the Banks community, where they have resided for the past thirty-four years. Bub worked from 1929 to 1933 at the St. Mary's Home for Boys farm in Beaverton as farm foreman. For twenty-two years until 1955, he owned and operated the family farm. In 1955 he began working ral Tire and Rubber Company in Portland, where he worked for seventeen years until 1972 when he began working for the City of Banks Water Department as the meter reader and all around helper. Bub worked for the City until 1983 when he retired. He was a life long member of the Catholic Church, having attended Verboort Parish and St. Francis of Assisi Parish. He was a 60 year member of the Catholic Order of Foresters. During his younger days, Bub had volunteered with the Banks Fire Department. Among his special interests he enjoyed salmon fishing, hunting, and trapshooting, having been one of the founders of the Verboort Trap Club. He also enjoyed baseball and had a "notable sense of humor". He was preceded in death by a son, Joseph Hermens; and eight brothers and sisters. Survivors include his wife, Ida M. Hermens, of the family home in Banks, Oregon; a son and daughter-in-law, Richard and Maxine Hermens of La Grande, Oregon; and three daughters and sons-in-law, Leanne and Louie LaBonte of Forest Grove, Oregon; Louann and Sid Bone of Hillsboro, Oregon; and Louine and Richard Warren of Banks, Oregon. Also surviving are twelve grandchildren; five great-grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. ************************************ the Archbishop's Fund for Retired Religious Priests and Sisters, in care of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, 39135 NW Harrington Road, Banks, Oregon 97106, in his memory.